Top Festivals In Plovdiv: Music, Dance & Food
Plovdiv is a European cultural hub that has much to offer to its visitors all year round. The thriving cultural scene of the city is backed by the locals’ love for music, crafts, food and the creative industries. Due to this, every year there are many interesting events happening, all of which transform the charming streets of Plovdiv & various neighbourhoods and take over popular venues. Here are some of the top festival in Plovdiv that you will absolutely love and should certainly look up when visiting the city!
1/ Plovdiv Jazz Festival
Plovdiv Jazz Festival is one of the highlights in the programme of Plovdiv – European Capital of Culture 2019. Some of the world’s most influential jazz artists have participated in the event over the last several years. Although tickets haven’t been released just yet, you can bet the citizens of Plovdiv are super excited for yet another edition of this amazing spectacle!
The festival has hosted numerous special events such as a tribute to the legendary Bulgarian pioneers “White, Green, Red”, “Four Ladies sing Jazz”, “Four Gents sing Jaz”z, as well as many other club concerts, jam sessions, exhibitions, lectures and master classes.
- When: 31.10.2019 – 02.11.2019
- Where: House of Culture Boris Hristov (others are to be confirmed)
2/ Mood for Food Sreet Festival
The first edition of the festival took place back in 2018 and is set to follow up again in the month of September. Participants this year will be restaurant chains, local and regional producers of food and beverages, food trucks and some street bars. This is a great chance to try some local food which is promised to be even more delicious and creative than last year’s selection! As for the drinks, expect some amazing artisan cocktails, local craft beer and different wine brands from all over the country.
See who’s going to be joining the festival this year:
- Lora, celebrating 2 years of her blog FIT Sweets by Lori, will attend the fest as a lecturer to share with us how to cook delicious sweets in no time.
- For Belgian wafers on a stick – visit the Lolly The Vintage Caravan.
- For the hungry nomads – Nomad Burger knows what should lie between two buns.
- Mangia Van also will welcome you in September.
While these are just a few of this year’s participants, you can also expect all kinds of entertainment, music, lectures, workshops and of course, delicious food! The festival is part of the official 2019 programme.
- When: 14.09.2018 to 16.09.2018
- Where: Plovdiv Central Square
3/ Opera Open
The “Opera Open” music festival is a project run by the State Opera in Plovdiv. During the past several years the citizens of Plovdiv have enjoyed many outdoor concerts at one of the town’s most beautiful venues – the Ancient Roman Theatre. The spectacular 2000-year-old structure is in great condition and a very popular venue for many events in town. Witnessing a concert there is certainly a memorable experience you’re not likely to ever forget.
Over the past years, names such as Elisabet Strid, Donata D’Annunzio Lombardi, Paata Burchuladze, Alberto Gazale and Christian Benedict have all had the chance to perform in the annual festival. Performers in the events have also included prima ballet dancers from the Bolshoi Theatre as well as performers from the Vienna Volksoper and the Budapest Opera. The festival is part of the official 2019 programme.
- When: 08.06.2019 – 30.08.2019
- Where: Ancient Roman Theatre, House of Culture Boris Hristov, Other
- Programme: see all upcoming events from the State Opera in Plovdiv
4/ Love Swing Dance Festival
This unique and refreshing festival has two editions in Plovdiv – one in the autumn of 2018 and one that is set in the fall of 2019. Part of the project is also the amazing short film ‘I Charleston Plovdiv’, which shows perfectly the beauty and unique spirit of Plovdiv.
In a 4 day programme during 2019, the Love Swing Dance Festival will include daily swing dance lessons with some of the best teachers in the world, international competitions for different categories and ages, evening shows with a festive programme and live music from international bands, as well as a fun walk through the centre of Plovdiv.
In order to participate in any of the competitions, you will need to register and buy a pass.
- When: 03.10.2019 – 06.10.2019.
- Where: Plovdiv Drama Theatre, Sklad
5/ Hills of Rock
The annual music festival Hills of Rock takes place by the rowing channel in Plovdiv, every summer. It’s a very popular event and people from across the whole country head down to Plovdiv hoping to see their favourite bands perform. The first edition of the festival took place back in 2017 and since the event has grown in popularity, with some of the world’s biggest rock bands attending.
Who to expect on the stage of Hills of Rock in 2019:
- The first headliner of the festival will be the well known and loved by all band – Whitesnake.
- Disturbed will perform on the first day of the festival and you will have the chance to see them for the first time in Bulgaria!
- The alternative rock band Garbage will be the headliner on the third day of Hills of Rock.
- The Swedes Amaranthe and the Royal Republic are also joining the festival on June 30th.
- When: 28.06.2019 – 30.06.2019
- Where: The Rowing Channel
- Events &Tickets
All of these amazing events provide a great opportunity for you to get to know Plovdiv better so don’t miss them! And don’t forget to check out the many sightseeing opportunities Plovdiv City Card gives you while in town!