At the foot of Sahat Tepe is a Gothic-style granite-style massive Evangelical Fellowship Church, which was officially consecrated at the second general meeting of the Evangelical Congregational Churches in 1901. It is the largest Protestant church on the Balkan Peninsula.
Evangelism in Plovdiv began with the arrival of some American missionaries back in 1858. As the newly formed community grew bigger, in 1883 they began to gather in the official Evangelical church. Dr Marsh and his wife formed a missionary station in the city which he led for the 40 years he lived there. It was due to his help, financing, managing and organisation that the church was built.