Church St. St. Konstantin and Elena
The church St. St. Konstantin and Elena is one of the oldest Christian churches in the city of Plovdiv. It’s situated in the centre of the old part of the town, right on the wall of the Acropolis. It’s part of the Architectural complex “The Old Plovdiv.”
The church St. St. Konstantin and Elena was built in 337 at the site of an ancient pagan temple in the Acropolis on one of the fortified hills. Some of the icons and paintings of the church were made by the famous Bulgarian National Revival painter Zahari Zograf who lived and worked in Plovdiv between 1836 and 1840. The temple has been functioning permanently since July 2007, at the initiative of His Eminence Metropolitan Nicholas of Plovdiv.